Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Dark Birthday!

My niece, who is really into black right now, is having a birthday in August, so I decided to make her a nice card to send to her. The only problem was finding colors that she would be okay with. She loves the color black, but making a plain black card is so... well... blah!!! So I started one with other colors, but it turned out to be just a nice card to send for any occasion, so I went back to the drawing board.

While going through my many favorite blogs I came across a challenge at CAS-ual Fridays. They wanted something with rub-ons or stickers, so I started wracking my brains to see if I could incorporate the challenge into my niece's birthday card.

A while back, my husband, being the wonderful enabler that he is... found a bunch of scrapping supplies on sale on e-bay, and actually won the auction. The bundle just happen to come with some really cute rub on letters made by Making Memories. I have a few different fonts to pick from, so it worked out great. The only problem was they all seemed to be black, and I was working with black papers... and then I found the cute blue text that looks like it was stamped on. So taking my new rub-on letters, some carefully chosen papers, my new Cateye Chalk ink and I came up with a really cute card.

I went a little crazy with putting the letters on because I knew I could never keep them straight, so I just angled each letter the opposite way of the one before it, and as I got closer to the end of the area I stretched them out a little more, to kind of give it the impression that I was getting crazy with each letter I put down. If you know my family at all, it fits in perfectly!!!

I was luck with my papers, I had a card stock in plain black that I used for the base of the card, then I have this wonderful Boho Chic pack from The Paper Studio, and then for the top part I needed something that I could rub my letters on that would show up, so I cute a page in half from my DCWV The Street Lace Stack... which I love, but hardly ever use because its so unique and hard to find for the right person. Thankfully, even though there was a lot of pink in the pack... which my niece hates, I was able to come up with a page that had just a touch of black but some cute blue in it too. I took my new cats eye chalk ink and inked up the edges of my papers, and the pretty bird that I found in another pack that is dwindling down because I use it so much. I put a ribbon to break up the white from the color, and there was the front of my card.


I was a little worried though, because the inside was going to be very dark, so I decided to take the other half of the DCWV paper and put it on the inside, with another greeting, and another cute little flower cut out, inking the edges with my new chalk ink again. Finally I used my silver pen to write a personal message inside for my niece.


So there is my latest birthday card. I think it turned out really good considering all the black I used, but I know my niece will love that I didn't send her a cutsie little pink card that she would think was horrible. Hope you all like it, and check out CAS-ual Fridays for some great challenges.

1 comment:

  1. So perfect for your niece! The black is just the right amount as it provides a fun and dramatic element, but it sure is not overwhelming for the entire design! Your thoughtful and creative card will make your niece VERY happy :) Thanks so much for playing with us at CAS-ual Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete